Groups of hosting services
A hosting solution concerns keeping and/or sharing certain content on a server run by a hosting vendor. There are various classes of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's have a gaze at these. In this way, you can decide what you need, on the basis of whether you desire to set up a web page, e-mailbox accounts, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by certain firms, which permits you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage services are frequently supported by displaying advertisements next to the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a given amount of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you purchase a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a totally amiss explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would divide the workload between different groups of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending different site hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, web page hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a variety of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; given suppliers offer a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting variant is good if you desire to share an immense quantity of images with friends or associates since the solution is commonly free of cost. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your e-mails. Some suppliers provide web site hosting solutions for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting service. If you desire to open a mail address with your domain name but do not want to possess a website, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can open mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video generates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of videos and a few hundred web site viewers, you may have a hard time with your web site hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will allow you to run as many videos as you desire without bothering about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to own a web site. To some extent, it embodies all of the aforementioned hosting variants since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and email mailbox accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Heartland Web Hosting, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting accounts that permit you to get all of the aforementioned services in a single location. There may be limitations depending on the sort of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are intended for specific web content only.